Featured Speaker

Dr. John Watterson

MD, FRCPC, Rheumatologist, Vancouver, BC

Dr. John Watterson, MD, FRCPC, discusses diagnosing lupus erythematosus.


Dr. John Watterson is a rheumatologist who currently practices in Vancouver at Laurel Medical Centre Ltd. Dr. Watterson obtained his Bachelor of Science in Microbiology in 1991 and his MD in 1995 from the University of British Columbia.

He is currently a clinical instructor at UBC and an active member of the clinical staff at the University Hospital. Dr. Watterson is the Medical Director of the Arthritis Program and a rheumatologist at the GF Strong Rehabilitation Centre. Dr. Watterson is a medical consultant for the Arthritis Society Traveling Consultative Service in Cranbrook and Medical Director of the Industrial Alliance Assurance Company.

Previously, Dr. John Watterson was a staff physician at Mount St. Joseph’s Hospital in Burnaby, St. Vincent’s Hospital in Vancouver and St. Mary’s Hospital in Vancouver.

John R. Watterson, MD Clinical Assistant Professor University of British Columbia ARTUS Health Centre 839 West Broadway Vancouver, BC

( Dr. John Watterson, Rheumatologist, Victoria, BC ) is in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons. Now Health

Diagnosing Lupus Erythematosus

The most important feature in diagnosing systemic lupus erythematosus is to consider it in the diagnosis.

In the individual who has manifestations, such as rashes, inflammation of joints or other organs, it always has to be considered.

Next, we look at the demographic of the patient. A young woman, versus someone in their 50s, 60s, or 70s, the likelihood is that a young woman will have systemic lupus erythematosus. However, any member of the population can.

The diagnosis is based, therefore, on signs and symptoms, as well as certain laboratory testing that is done. The most common laboratory test which most people will talk about is an antinuclear antibody screen. This is positive in the vast majority of people with systemic lupus erythematosus.

If you’ve been diagnosed or feel you may have systemic lupus erythematosus, you should be in contact with your primary care physician. You may also be referred to a rheumatologist for consultation.

Presenter: Dr. John Watterson, Rheumatologist, Victoria, BC

Local Practitioners: Rheumatologist

Rheumatology Now

Patient Communication System

QA Chat
Ask us a health question on
diagnosis/treatment options...